HTC Desire 816 is a desirable phone. To give you upfront idea about the device, let’s say that HTC 816 offers a big screen with good quality, competitive pricing and some solid processing hardware which has been the benchmark of HTC devices in general. HTC Desire has the same camera and the processor as HTC One Mini 2, but has a bigger screen. Desire has such a screen that it qualifies as a “phablet”. Despite having great price and decent specs, the ride isn’t going to be smooth; Desire is expected to face stiff competition from LG, Samsung, Huawei and ZTE devices.
HTC Desire 816 Review
The Desire 816 has also helped HTC get their balance sheet back on track, as the tech giant posted a net profit in Q2 2014 the first time they have managed that in a long time.
Let’s take a detailed look into primary features and specifications of HTC Desire 816
HTC Desire 816 Review – Specification
• 5.5 inches 720p Super LCD2 capacitive touchscreen,
• Ambient light sensor with automatic brightness control censors.
• An average pixel density of 267ppi.
• Multiple viewing angles without darkening or distorting the screen.
• Great contrast ratio with both manual and automatic settings.
• Well-designed reflectivity levels that makes the display visible in the outdoors.
• A powerful 13MP camera with excellent still photography results.
• Autofocus options also available.
• Video recording at 1080p, 30fps, F/2.2 aperture, 28mm lens.
• Dual-LED flash options for dark-room or night photography.
• Front facing camera is 5MP with a BSI sensor, for a front camera that’s huge MP!
• Front camera also records high quality 1080p videos.
• Camera not great when taking 16:9 shots.
• Advance image settings like HDR, Panorama and geo-tagging etc.
• Basic settings such as ISO control, exposure settings and white balance also available.
• Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset
• 1.6GHz quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU, Adreno 305 GPU
• 1.5GB of RAM
• Great multitasking such as browsing, playing games and watching videos.
• 2,600mAh battery – some say it can be improved.
• Option of “Extreme Power Saving Mode” when you run out of battery.
• Official 21 hour talk time on 3G.
• Android 4.4.2 KitKat with HTC Sense 6.0
• Noise cancellation feature, very helpful if you are trying to cope with a noisy background while talking.
• An exciting “Car mode” screen, which launches when the phablet is connected to your car’s Bluetooth.
• It comes with a built in Polaris Office 5 enables you to read and create Word, Excel and PowerPoint files and PDF.
Design and Look
• HTC Desire 816 measures 156.6 x 78.7 x 7.9mm
• It has a weight of only 165g making it a light 5.5″ phablet
• Even though there is no aluminum unibody, it is plastic only but it still looks attractive.
• Metallic volume and lock key buttons.
• Desire’s back is irremovable therefore the card slot is on the side.
• Desire 816 has 8GB of built-in memory, 4.2GB of which can be accessed by user.
Some cons or drawbacks
HTC desire has some flaws as well. First the screen quality is good and the size is great but the resolution is low (at 720p) in comparison. Secondly, the battery could’ve been better. The device is solid otherwise, despite some minor drawbacks such as the lock button being on the top which is often inconvenient to use.
However, these “flaws” are not so great that they should influence you into not buying HTC Desire 816. It is a great device and highly recommended.
That’s all on HTC Desire 816 Review.